AACN Certification Corporation offers subject matter expert positions for Practice Analysis, Item Writing, Item Review, Exam Review and Score Evaluation, as well as volunteer positions for Appeal Review.
- Members of the Practice Analysis Task Force (PATF) develop the survey used to collect current data on nursing practice and then analyze the survey results to update the test plan. The PATF completes its work in person and virtually via email and video conferencing.
- Members of the Item Writing Committee are trained to write new certification exam questions (also known as items) with an emphasis on reducing bias while maintaining the clinical integrity of each item. Item writing work is completed independently and virtually via email.
- Members of the Item Review Committee review, revise and approve new certification exam items for pre-testing. Item review work is completed independently and virtually via email and video conferencing.
- Members of the Exam Review Committee validate and agree on all items to be included on the exams, ensuring they are relevant for continued use and aligned with the current test plan. Exam review work is completed independently and virtually via email and video conferencing.
- Members of the Score Evaluation Committee analyze the difficulty of the items to determine the exam passing score. Work of this committee occurs during a one- to two-day in-person meeting.
- Members of the Appeals Panel review and deliberate on incoming certification-related appeals and agree on outcomes based on current policies. Appeals Panel work is completed virtually via email.
Volunteers are needed for specialty, subspecialty and advanced practice exam development for all patient populations, e.g., Adult, Pediatric, Neonatal.